Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Indian Summer Music Festival in Levoca 2013

Drinking a glass of champagne at Kastiel Pechy 


After being cooped up all summer and just wanting to get away for the weekend, I was really looking forward to going to The Indian Summer Festival in Levoca this year.  I had such a wonderful time last year with David and Nadia Conway (the organizers of the festival) and friends Keith and Jenny Page, I wasn't sure it could be topped.  Sure enough, this year was terrific and didn't disappoint.

Friday's performance by Jonathan Powell tickling the ivory's of the Conway's own magnificent piano performing Johannes Brahms Piano Concerto no. 2 in B flat major op. 83 was a delight to the ears.  I met Jonathan at last year's festival but had to leave before hearing him play so I was very excited to hear him play.  

After a lovely morning at Spis Castle, it never gets old.  I believe I actually saw more areas like the battle area in the photo below, I hadn't seen last year.



Remind anyone of Game of Thrones???
















And last year I also missed the bird sanctuary with various owls, falcons and doves. Just look at this beautiful snow owl!



















Saturday afternoon after was a delight at Kastiel Pecky listening to the great Slovak cellist Jozef Luptak and accordion (not what you think) musician Boris Lenko. Jozef  and Boris performed the music of Bach, Scarlatti and Shostakovich. Jozef played a solo personal piece Song Without Words (my favorite).   The setting was breathtaking as you can see from my intro photo.  Nothing like a glass of champagne to put you in the mood for classical music.

Levoca and the surrounding area is one of the most beautiful places in Slovakia.  Besides being a treasure in Slovakia Levoca and Spis Castle are both on the UNESCO list.  I'm amazing at how many of my students have never seen Levoca or Spis Castle.  I wish Slovaks would make the trip east and experience this magical place.

If you are in Slovakia next October please be sure to come to Levoca for the best classical music festival in Central Europe.  http://www.lblfestival.eu







4 comments:

  1. Food festivals are a great way to taste a lot of different foods at a reasonable price and great family entertainment. It's a great way to get out there and have great fun for the whole family at reasonable prices.see more at:-chicago summer festival

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello dear
    How are you? Hope you are good . i have read your amzing post . i like it very much . by the way please look at bellow
    Chicago is a home of many great festivals and events. One of its greatest is the Chicago myth Festival,

    Thanx
    Angelina Jukic
    For more information visit- chicago summer festivals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angelina for your comment. I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  3. Hello dear all,

    Have a good moment.I wanna thank to this blog owner for his/her wanderful blogging.I am drawing attention for my following writing.
    Summer marks the return of one of our nation's greatest loves, the food festival. And there is no other better known gathering of delicious cuisine than the Taste of Chicago, the world's largest outdoor food fest.
    Take a look at for more details-festivals

    Happy moment
    Angelina Jukic

    ReplyDelete